Hundreds protest, hold vigil after the death of Patrick Lyoya

Collaborator: Rachael Schuit
Published: 04/10/2022, 1:26 AM
Edited: 04/11/2022, 2:37 PM

(GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.) Hundreds of protesters marched in Southeast Grand Rapids on Saturday afternoon following the death of 26-year old Patrick Lyoya on Monday. 

Lyoya was shot and killed by a Grand Rapids Police Officer the morning of April 4. 

During the march protesters chanted: "No justice, no peace."

Earlier this week, the GRPD said Lyoya was killed after he was pulled over for driving a vehicle with a license plate that didn't match the registration. 

Police say Lyoya got out of his vehicle and ran from the officer, who then chased him. The two then got into a physical altercation that lasted for several minutes. The altercation ended when the officer fired his gun, killing Lyoya. 

Lyoya's father Peter said it wasn't a traffic stop and that his son was already out of his vehicle when the officer showed up. 

Video from the incident has not been released to the media or the public but we're told law enforcement showed the footage to Peter Lyoya and his interpreter Israel Siku earlier this week.

Peter Lyoya told VNN his son was on the ground when the officer shot him in the head. 

During the march, protesters also chanted: "Release that video."

On Thursday, Christopher Becker, the Kent County Prosecutor, asked law enforcement to hold off on releasing any video while the investigation is underway. 

On Friday, Grand Rapids Police Chief Eric Winstrom released a statement saying that video will be released by April 15. 

"Since this tragic event occurred on Monday morning and in the hours and days that followed, I have been consistent in my commitment to transparency," said Winstrom. "I have publicly stated my intention to release the video next week and I intend to keep that promise. I have also committed to protecting the integrity of the investigation in the interests of justice and accountability. I have informed the Michigan State Police and the Kent County prosecutor that I will release the video no later than noon on Friday, April 15."

Peter Lyoya said he's grateful to the people who showed up to Saturday to offer support for him and and his family. 

"What I'm asking, what has happened to me, doesn't happen to anybody else. I don't want any parent to experience what I've experienced because that hurts. It's hurts," said Peter Lyoya. 


Ann Marie Worthley
04/22/2022, 7:52 PM

Very sad.